OT: My personal test of 20 free offline Android gps map routing applications
Danny D'Amico
2013-12-27 17:49:23 UTC
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 06:41:23 -0800, ***@optonline.net wrote:

>> So, I may be "grandfathered" in, under the old no-data plan.
>
> Yes, I think somehow you got lucky, because it's been a long
> standing problem that people have been bitching about that
> the carriers will not let you use a smartphone on their networks
> without a data plan.

To be very clear, I had filed an FCC complaint about a year or two
ago, against AT&T for that very same reason.

I argued long and hard with the AT&T VP who called me in response
to my FCC complaint, all to no avail. In fact, the funny thing is,
that AT&T replied to the FCC that the "matter was resolved to the
customer's satisfaction". I dropped AT&T in favor of T-Mobile!

I was so tired of the fight, they had worn me down so much, that
I simply gave up on getting AT&T to reconsider. I had even filed
an FTC complaint of "Unfair Marketing Practices", since their
*stated reason* was to have a predictable bill - and - I argued
to the FTC that they also allowed a data block - so I could get
a predictable bill without a data plan.

In the end, I simply gave up. The exhausted even me. And that's
not easy to do. I simply moved to T-Mobile, who was happy to
take my money without me having to have a data plan.

So, there's no doubt that I have a T-Mobile plan that doesn't
have any data!
Danny D'Amico
2013-12-28 01:44:38 UTC
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:17:00 -0800, ***@optonline.net wrote:

> While I thought it would be nice to have data anywhere,
> I figured it wasn't worth $480 a year to me and that there were
> enough wifi spots that I would have lived with using that. But
> since Verizon won't allow it, I started looking elsewhere.

That's exactly why I dropped AT&T in favor of T-Mobile.

I didn't want to pay for a data plan which, over the course of
a year, would cost me more than a brand new smart phone.

Luckily, T-Mobile gladly took me without data ($70/month for
4 phones for unlimited text and 1,000 shared minutes, with
WiFi calling enabled and VOIP also not restricted).

That's the good news. The bad news is that T-Mobile apparently
no longer offers a no-data plan; so, they're as bad at AT&T,
and, maybe even worse, depending on whether AT&T charges less
than that for a dumb phone. (Do they?)
Danny D'Amico
2013-12-28 01:45:54 UTC

This Zact stuff seems pretty good!
tlvp
2013-12-28 07:25:34 UTC
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 12:17:00 -0800, ***@optonline.net wrote:

> That's when I found Zact, one of the prepaid low cost providers
> that ride on Sprint.
>
> ... <www.zact.com> ...

Does zact activate previously active Sprint-branded handsets? Looks like
not: "we do not support the option to bring your own device at this time."

That's a PITA/pity -- I'd have a nifty old Sprint-branded Palm Treo 650
that'd love to get itself reactivated ... an LG Rumor2 too, and others.

Cheers, -- tlvp