Iphone Users Smarter Than Android Owners?
George Kerby
2015-01-28 15:46:35 UTC
What say Ye?

<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
Jolly Roger
2015-01-28 15:52:03 UTC
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
Tired, old story. Slow news day? *yawn*

JR
Michelle Steiner
2015-01-28 16:00:48 UTC
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.

One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.

Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
"their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".

Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."

A better study would be of what phone Mensa members prefer. <snicker>
Recliner
2015-01-28 16:15:45 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
"their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".
Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."
A better study would be of what phone Mensa members prefer. <snicker>
Speaking personally, Android (admittedly, I let my Mensa membership lapse
long before I got a smartphone).
D.F. Manno
2015-01-28 18:01:52 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
Don't blame the writer for the headline. Writers almost never get to
write the headlines for their own stories.
--
D.F. Manno | ***@mail.com
GOP delenda est!
Michelle Steiner
But he perpetuated that error in the article itself.
nospam
2015-01-28 18:30:38 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
either is acceptable.

<http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/07/05/is-data-is-or-is-data-aint-a-
plural/>
Most style guides and dictionaries have come to accept the use of the
noun data with either singular or plural verbs, and we hereby join
the majority.

<http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/data>
In Latin, data is the plural of datum and, historically and in
specialized scientific fields, it is also treated as a plural in
English, taking a plural verb, as in the data were collected and
classified. In modern non-scientific use, however, it is generally
not treated as a plural. Instead, it is treated as a mass noun,
similar to a word like information, which takes a singular verb.
Sentences such as data was collected over a number of years are now
widely accepted in standard English
Post by Michelle Steiner
Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
"their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".
that's an error.
it's a puff piece. slow news day.
Michelle Steiner
WSJ: Rupert Murdoch. Need I say more?
Lewis
2015-01-28 23:36:59 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by nospam
Post by Michelle Steiner
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
either is acceptable.
<http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/07/05/is-data-is-or-is-data-aint-a-
plural/>
Most style guides and dictionaries have come to accept the use of the
noun data with either singular or plural verbs, and we hereby join
the majority.
WSJ: Rupert Murdoch. Need I say more?
The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The LA Times, The Washington Post,
and I believe even The Chicago Manual of Style agree that data can be
singular. And those fellows at Oxford.

APA is sticking to data is plural, but they are at least
scientific-adjacent, so that's understandable.
http://2blog.kreme.com
tlvp
2015-02-10 03:34:38 UTC
... have come ...
grudgingly
... to accept the use ...
Cheers, -- tlvp
George Kerby
2015-01-28 21:23:51 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
Major error in the paragraph: "their is data to back it up now"
"their"?? Really? Also, it should be "are data", not "is data".
Now that I've finished the article (after writing the above", he cites
someone who contradicts his thesis: "Andrew Waber is a market analyst
with Chitika and says it doesn't show iPhone users are smarter than say
Android users, just that college graduates seem to prefer the iPhone."
A better study would be of what phone Mensa members prefer. <snicker>
So, there ya go: Your scrutiny and excellent observation CLEARLY illustrate
that iPhone users are far superior in intellectual prowess when compared to
the knuckle-dragger Android crowd. ;-))))
Your Name
2015-01-29 01:17:50 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
[...]
There are many, many, many surveys that "prove" Apple users are
smarter, sexier, better looking, have better jobs, etc. than Android /
Windoze / etc. users. Most of them are complete crap based solely on
the fact that Apple devices / computers "cost more" than the other
makers, therefore buyers are paying more, therefore they have better
jobs, therefore they are more intelligent, etc., etc. Anyone with more
than one braincell knows these things are not necessarily connected.
You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
device / computer on hire-purchase / rent-to-own terms paying it off
over 10 years.
Michelle Steiner
2015-01-29 03:53:11 UTC
True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.
George Kerby
2015-01-29 15:39:40 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Your Name
You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
device / computer
True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.
Yep. A guy who has a few billion bucks in the bank who started out as a
color man for the St Louis Cards from backwoods Ozarks is truly a "dumbass".

You betcha - Yeppers!

Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Jolly Roger
2015-01-29 15:43:36 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by Your Name
You can, for example, be a complete ugly dumbass who buys an Apple
device / computer
True. As an example, I submit Rush Limbaugh.
Yep. A guy who has a few billion bucks in the bank who started out as a
color man for the St Louis Cards from backwoods Ozarks is truly a "dumbass".
Yes, he is. Rush Limbaugh is living proof that money ain't everything.
Post by George Kerby
You betcha - Yeppers!
Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.

JR
George Kerby
And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
Jolly Roger
2015-01-29 16:43:38 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
You betcha - Yeppers!
Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.
And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.

JR
George Kerby
2015-01-30 15:03:38 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
You betcha - Yeppers!
Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.
And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.
"Yadda, yadda!" RIGHT!

Rush is not 'political' - in what world are you living....?
Jolly Roger
2015-01-30 15:43:24 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
You betcha - Yeppers!
Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.
And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.
"Yadda, yadda!" RIGHT!
Rush is not 'political' - in what world are you living....?
I'm sure everything and person in existence is "political" to those who
only see the world through political lenses. Suckers, all of them - you
included.

JR
George Kerby
2015-01-31 01:23:55 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by George Kerby
Post by George Kerby
You betcha - Yeppers!
Umm, I would imagine the "genius" in the White House will be back to his
Blackberry in a couple of years...
Everything is political with you; you're a political sucker.
And Limbaugh isn't "political"?!? RIGHT!!!!
The comment about him (that he is a complete ugly dumbass) had nothing
to do with politics. You brought politics into the picture, because you
view everything through your politics lens, like a sucker.
"Yadda, yadda!" RIGHT!
Rush is not 'political' - in what world are you living....?
I'm sure everything and person in existence is "political" to those who
only see the world through political lenses. Suckers, all of them - you
included.
Go the fuck AWAY! Goodbye - you have shown yourself to be a narrow-minded
asshole with NO sense of humor. Adios, Mo-Fo..
Jolly Roger
2015-01-31 01:35:35 UTC
Post by George Kerby
Go the fuck AWAY! Goodbye - you have shown yourself to be a narrow-minded
asshole with NO sense of humor. Adios, Mo-Fo..
Nah, I just don't classify every single thing I see and hear in asinine
political boxes like you. People who view the world through political
lenses are pathetic suckers who only perpetuate and support the theft of
rights from the people. And I'm not going anywhere. Feel free to kill my
posts.

JR
tlvp
2015-02-10 03:38:29 UTC
Post by Your Name
Anyone with more
than one braincell knows these things are not necessarily connected.
As does anyone with more than one brain :-) . cheers, -- tlvp
Lewis
2015-01-28 23:26:44 UTC
Post by Michelle Steiner
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I read only the title and first paragraph, and concluded that the
author should not be publishing anything.
One minor error in the title: It should be "Data show", because "data"
is plural.
That cannot be called an error anymore. Data as singular is
well-established and anyone correcting it risks coming off as an 1800's
school master.

New Oxford American Dictionary in OS X 10.10.2:
"Usage: In Latin, data is the plural of datum and, historically and in
http://2blog.kreme.com
tlvp
2015-02-10 03:32:10 UTC
Post by George Kerby
What say Ye?
<http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/data-shows-iphone-users-ar
e-smarter-13194058/>
I say if KTRH can't even get "their is data" spelled right, there, they're
not to be believed on much of anything else, either :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp