FAQ for AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular Wireless)
John Navas
2012-08-25 20:19:48 UTC
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/AT&T_Wireless_FAQ>
A comprehensive resource for AT&T Mobility (Cingular Wireless) subscribers.
This is a Wikibook to which _anyone_ can contribute.
Comments, corrections, and contributions welcome!

<<>>
d***@17.usenet.us.com
2012-08-27 17:57:10 UTC
Post by John Navas
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/AT&T_Wireless_FAQ>
A comprehensive resource for AT&T Mobility (Cingular Wireless) subscribers.
This is a Wikibook to which _anyone_ can contribute.
Comments, corrections, and contributions welcome!
Nobody even responds to the Navas FAQ posts any more.
They used to be good for a little flamefest, but since John died, and only
his autobot survives, it isn't any fun any more.

I did think of him while watching the America's Cup yacht race in the SF
Bay.

If he couldn't wangle his way onto a crew, he would certainly be on a
committee boat marking a turn, held fast to John's GPS marking.
--
Clarence
(By "John died", I am referring to his Usenet postings. I have no evidence
one way or the other about any other John entities)
SMS
2012-08-27 18:19:05 UTC
Post by d***@17.usenet.us.com
If he couldn't wangle his way onto a crew, he would certainly be on a
committee boat marking a turn, held fast to John's GPS marking.
Wrangle, not wangle.

Well if a boat went way off course and ended up way out in the Pacific
Ocean, he could rescue them and explain how Cingular offers Extended GSM
service, even though they don't.

We were up in San Francisco yesterday and saw the boats out on the bay
but it was before they started the race.
d***@17.usenet.us.com
2012-08-27 18:57:56 UTC
Post by SMS
Post by d***@17.usenet.us.com
If he couldn't wangle his way onto a crew, he would certainly be on a
committee boat marking a turn, held fast to John's GPS marking.
Wrangle, not wangle.
If you are referring to Jon Navas' known temperament, I might have to agree
with you, but for civilized folk, I think wangle is correct.
Post by SMS
Well if a boat went way off course and ended up way out in the Pacific
Ocean, he could rescue them and explain how Cingular offers Extended GSM
service, even though they don't.
John did make some extensive GPS maps of the Bay, back in the early days of
GPS.

Didn't he jump ship to some far superior carrier just before he
disappeared? (too much nautical ambiguity there. I meant cellular
carrier.) I do remember the Extended GSM claims. I think I am in an area
typically beyond the specified 3G range where I am now. Seems to work most
of the time. Maybe it's the JN Extension.
Post by SMS
We were up in San Francisco yesterday and saw the boats out on the bay
but it was before they started the race.
I only watched a little bit, but I need to look at some explanation of the
course. They had ships going in varying directions on TV. Not quite like
the track events at the Olympics.

I had envisioned sailing a much larger portion of the bay, circling Yerba
Buena and Alcatraz as markers.

I thought the bulk of the dock improvements were going to be "around the
corner" over closer to AT&T Park.
nospam
2012-08-27 20:10:08 UTC
Post by d***@17.usenet.us.com
Didn't he jump ship to some far superior carrier just before he
disappeared?
i remember him shilling for t-mobile a lot.

navas shills for a lot of products, depending on who is writing the
check. it can and does change.
SMS
2012-08-27 20:30:48 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by d***@17.usenet.us.com
Didn't he jump ship to some far superior carrier just before he
disappeared?
i remember him shilling for t-mobile a lot.
That must have been after most people filtered him out. Not sure I
remember that change from AT&T.

I thought it was very amusing to see an ad from AT&T nee Cingular,
talking about how they've reduced dropped calls by 35% in the Bay Area.
Remember when Cingular had the "fewest dropped calls" ad campaign? Even
the company they hired to conduct the study stated that Cingular was
misinterpreting the results of the study.
nospam
2012-08-27 20:57:20 UTC
Post by SMS
Post by nospam
Post by d***@17.usenet.us.com
Didn't he jump ship to some far superior carrier just before he
disappeared?
i remember him shilling for t-mobile a lot.
That must have been after most people filtered him out. Not sure I
remember that change from AT&T.
it was when he had his sony-ericsson tm-506.

his usual line was t-mobile had excellent coverage in the places he's
in.

apparently he doesn't go to very many places.
SMS
2012-08-27 23:59:16 UTC
Post by nospam
his usual line was t-mobile had excellent coverage in the places he's
in.
apparently he doesn't go to very many places.
Probably he simply checked T-Mobile's coverage maps before deciding
where to go.

I think the big problem was that he was so gullible when it came to
believing the marketing garbage that some carriers put out. I remember
the logic that the poorer carriers used which was basically "no carrier
has 100% coverage so we're equal to Verizon which also doesn't have 100%
coverage." Of course the most funny/sad thing was his "proof" of
extended range GSM. That's when he really lost any remaining credibility.
George Kerby
2012-08-28 00:37:33 UTC
Post by SMS
Post by nospam
his usual line was t-mobile had excellent coverage in the places he's
in.
apparently he doesn't go to very many places.
Probably he simply checked T-Mobile's coverage maps before deciding
where to go.
I think the big problem was that he was so gullible when it came to
believing the marketing garbage that some carriers put out. I remember
the logic that the poorer carriers used which was basically "no carrier
has 100% coverage so we're equal to Verizon which also doesn't have 100%
coverage." Of course the most funny/sad thing was his "proof" of
extended range GSM. That's when he really lost any remaining credibility.
That happened long ago in the photography groups. Nav-Ass is nothing more
than a pure asshole with a tremendous bloated ego.
SMS
2012-08-28 00:50:56 UTC
On 8/27/2012 5:37 PM, George Kerby wrote:

<snip>
Post by George Kerby
That happened long ago in the photography groups. Nav-Ass is nothing more
than a pure asshole with a tremendous bloated ego.
I'm sure it must have been the same motivation. Some people buy a
product and then immediately have a desperate need to defend their
purchasing decision. Rather than saying "it meets my needs" or "oops, I
made a mistake," they try to find others to make the same mistake.
nospam
2012-08-28 01:02:11 UTC
Post by SMS
Post by George Kerby
That happened long ago in the photography groups. Nav-Ass is nothing more
than a pure asshole with a tremendous bloated ego.
I'm sure it must have been the same motivation. Some people buy a
product and then immediately have a desperate need to defend their
purchasing decision. Rather than saying "it meets my needs" or "oops, I
made a mistake," they try to find others to make the same mistake.
it's not so much that, but rather he's a shill. when someone gives him
a different product, the old one suddenly has limitations and the
drawbacks of the new one are no big deal.
SMS
2012-08-28 03:36:30 UTC
Post by nospam
it's not so much that, but rather he's a shill. when someone gives him
a different product, the old one suddenly has limitations and the
drawbacks of the new one are no big deal.
Well at least he decided to change his behavior and wisely gave up on
his old antics.

Elmo P. Shagnasty
2012-08-27 21:12:13 UTC
http://cellphoneforums.net/alt-cellular-cingular/t257255-re-hey-navas.htm