To un-SIM-lock an at&t-branded Moto RAZR V3xx ...
tlvp
2013-09-04 02:02:38 UTC
Couple of years ago I could phone in to 1-800-335-4685, with the IMEI of an
older at&t-branded handset SIM-subsidy-locked to at&t/Cingular, and be
given the SIM-subsidy unlock code (SUK) right there over the phone.

Couple of days ago I tried that again, with a lovely older RAZR V3xx, and
was told to do that on the web, at <www.att.com/deviceunlock>. Alas, that
page wants not only the IMEI but the last used at&t number assigned, and
how the handset was originally acquired, neither of which I know -- this
handset reached out to me from a cellular recycling bin at my university,
accompanied only by a cigar-lighter-socked based recharger and an at&t SIM.

So: do I go try at a local bricks'n'mortar at&t/Cingular kiosk? Is there a
better customer service phone number to try? Any other helpful advice?

Many thanks in advance! And cheers, -- tlvp
Elmo P. Shagnasty
2013-09-04 09:49:56 UTC
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1703969-Unlock-Cingular-AT-amp
-T-How-to-Unlock-your-Cingular-AT-amp-T-cellphone-to-any-GSM-network
tlvp
2013-09-05 04:11:04 UTC
Post by tlvp
[...]
Many thanks, there, Elmo P., looks to be very helpful :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
2013-09-06 19:27:22 UTC
<http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1703969-Unlock-Cingular-AT-amp-T-How-to-Unlock-your-Cingular-AT-amp-T-cellphone-to-any-GSM-network>
Alas, no response from them yet ... . Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
2013-09-11 18:51:26 UTC
Post by tlvp
Couple of years ago I could phone in to 1-800-335-4685, with the IMEI of an
older at&t-branded handset SIM-subsidy-locked to at&t/Cingular, and be
given the SIM-subsidy unlock code (SUK) right there over the phone.
Couple of days ago I tried that again, with a lovely older RAZR V3xx, and
was told to do that on the web, at <www.att.com/deviceunlock>. Alas, that
page wants not only the IMEI but the last used at&t number assigned, and
how the handset was originally acquired, neither of which I know -- this
handset reached out to me from a cellular recycling bin at my university,
accompanied only by a cigar-lighter-socked based recharger and an at&t SIM.
So: do I go try at a local bricks'n'mortar at&t/Cingular kiosk? Is there a
better customer service phone number to try? Any other helpful advice?
Resolution: after no joy from either the deviceunlock site or Elmo's HoFo
page, I gave at&t another call, at 1-800-331-0500, and found an at&t ws
agent named Diana who just took down my IMEI, and immediately read me off
the appropriately matching 16-digit SUK (SIM subsidy unlock) code. Worked
like a charm, too, on the handset in question: Easy peezy :-) !

Thanks, Diana, if you happen to be reading these posts. Cheers, -- tlvp
tlvp
2013-09-12 08:32:39 UTC
Post by tlvp
Resolution: after no joy from either the deviceunlock site or Elmo's HoFo
page, I gave at&t another call, at 1-800-331-0500, and found an at&t ws
agent named Diana who just took down my IMEI, and immediately read me off
the appropriately matching 16-digit SUK (SIM subsidy unlock) code. Worked
like a charm, too, on the handset in question: Easy peezy :-) !
What's more, later in the day, the outfit Elmo's HoFo page touts left an
email with that same SUK code. Never rains but it pours, I guess :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp