Q.: Pre-GSM Cingular handsets ... ?
tlvp
2011-12-29 01:20:01 UTC
I've come into possesion of several earlier AT&T- or Cingular-branded
handsets, all Nokias, all pre-GSM (like: Nokia 2260, Nokia 5165).

Can those have been CDMA? TDMA? AMPS? other?

TIA. And cheers, -- tlvp
Anthony
They're probably TDMA
Todd Allcock
2011-12-29 04:09:23 UTC
Post by tlvp
I've come into possesion of several earlier AT&T- or Cingular-branded
handsets, all Nokias, all pre-GSM (like: Nokia 2260, Nokia 5165).
Can those have been CDMA? TDMA? AMPS? other?
They're TDMA with AMPS fallback. Back in those days, a "2" or a "6" in
the Nokia model number's third digit signified TDMA, "1" or "9" was GSM,
and "7" or "8" CDMA. I still have identical looking Cingular TDMA 8160
and Voicestream GSM 8190s kicking around the house somewhere. (The '60
is actually a but thicker heavier being a dual-band tri-mode phone, vs.
the 1900MHz GSM-only '90.

I also have similar looking 5120, 5160 and 5190s, Cingular TDMA, AT&T TDMA,
and Voicestream GSM, respectively.

The TDMA models are rubbish now. There's no TDMA left in the USA.
tlvp
2011-12-29 05:07:36 UTC
Post by Todd Allcock
... Nokia 2260, Nokia 5165 ...
... CDMA? TDMA? AMPS? other? ...
They're TDMA with AMPS fallback. Back in those days, a "2" or a "6" in
the Nokia model number's third digit signified TDMA, "1" or "9" was GSM,
and "7" or "8" CDMA. I still have identical looking Cingular TDMA 8160
and Voicestream GSM 8190s kicking around the house somewhere. (The '60
is actually a but thicker heavier being a dual-band tri-mode phone, vs.
the 1900MHz GSM-only '90.
And a "5" standing for 900/1800 MHz GSM? Like the Nokia 6150?
Post by Todd Allcock
I also have similar looking 5120, 5160 and 5190s, Cingular TDMA, AT&T TDMA,
and Voicestream GSM, respectively.
Ah, unlocking the vaults of memory: Nokia 5190 was what Voicestream offered
as the zero-cost way for me to get a SIM and new service (back in Fall '01)
for a used Motorola Timeport P7389 I came back with from Eastern Europe.

A year earlier, the day after they took over from OmniPoint, Voicestream
had simply sold me a SIM for new service on a new P7389 I'd brought back
from Belgium (for $20, and a 1-year contract) -- now (a year later) they
let me choose: a naked new SIM for $20 plus a $35 new account activation
fee, or a SIM clothed in that 5190 handset, all free of charge, and free of
activation fee too. My choice was obvious :-) .
Post by Todd Allcock
The TDMA models are rubbish now. There's no TDMA left in the USA.
Ah, they're not quite rubbish -- they're still worth $50, if accompanied by
battery and charger, on those rare occasions when RS or Staples offers
blanket handset trade-in promotions :-) . And some of their batteries still
fit the 5190 (as spares). That 5190 is still useful as a bare-bones loaner
to a visiting European whose own handy is 900/1800 only :-) .

Cheers, and thanks for the 2/6, 7/8, 1/9 info. I don't think I'd been fully
aware just how systematic the numbering really was.

-- tlvp