Reaching AOL email through mobile web?
jeff_wisnia
2012-05-31 15:22:09 UTC
My wife had been accessing her AOL email from her att cellphone by using
"mobile web" to get on www.aol.com and logging in with her AOL username
and password. She'd been doing that for about a year.

Beginning sometime yesterday May 30, 2012 she can't do that anymore.

She can still get onto www.aol.com, but after she selects "Mail" and
enters her AOL user name and password she gets a message telling her
that the certificate for the web address her phone is trying to reach
has expired.

So, her only alternative was to use "att mobile email" to reach her AOL
email, and att will be tacking another $5 a month onto our bill for that
service.

Am I missing something or is this just another egregious way for att to
pick up a few more dollars from their customers who want to keep using
their AOL email accounts?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
tlvp
2012-05-31 23:54:27 UTC
Post by jeff_wisnia
[...]
I've run into "expired certificate" problems before with mail POP3 servers
and with computer-based webmail sites, though never yet with WAP-accessed
email servers. Solution had always been either to install a new certificate
or to accept the validity of a new certificate being proffered -- I'd try
to ask AOL's own internal Help area (accessed from a computer) for advice.

Or, see whether the experience of accessing AOL mail from the cell phone
may become more tolerable if done using Opera Mini, the version of Opera
browser that installs on many GSM handsets having at least a minimal J2ME
(Java 2 Mobile Edition) environment -- using the handset's own WAP browser
(Media Net is it called?) go to URL <http://www.operamini.com> and let the
system there detect the handset and install the version most appropriate to
it. You don't say which handset is involved, but give it a try, at worst
Opera will detect that there's no J2ME environment and will back out with
its regrets :-) .

HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp
jeff_wisnia
2012-06-01 00:37:08 UTC
Post by tlvp
Post by jeff_wisnia
[...]
Thanks!

Her phone is a Pantech Model P7040P.

The site it's trying to reach is:

https://wap.aol.com/auth/login.do

And the failure message says:

"Certificate was revoked because this site is no longer operational."

I'm going to try contacting AOL and see if they can do anything about
this. As I said before, it worked fine for about a year and quit two
days ago.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Todd Allcock
2012-06-01 05:39:34 UTC
Post by jeff_wisnia
Her phone is a Pantech Model P7040P.
https://wap.aol.com/auth/login.do
"Certificate was revoked because this site is no longer operational."
Try m.aol.com instead. That's the mobile-formatted site I use, and it
still works. I got an error message trying the one you linked.
Post by jeff_wisnia
I'm going to try contacting AOL and see if they can do anything about
this. As I said before, it worked fine for about a year and quit two
days ago.
True WAP sites are disappearing. The mobile world has moved on to XHTML,
which works on most mobile browsers. You'd think AOL would be smart
enough to redirect obsolete links, but then again...
tlvp
2012-06-01 21:35:59 UTC
Post by jeff_wisnia
Her phone is a Pantech Model P7040P.
https://wap.aol.com/auth/login.do
"Certificate was revoked because this site is no longer operational."
Oh :-) ! Not a failed certificate problem, but a nonexistent site problem.
No amount of certificate-store massaging will bring that site back to life.
Post by jeff_wisnia
I'm going to try contacting AOL and see if they can do anything about
this. As I said before, it worked fine for about a year and quit two
days ago.
When contacting AOL, just ask them what they'd recommend to use as address
in place of the discontinued one you'd been using (as reproduced above) --
they're sure not gonna try to "do anything" to bring it back to life :-) .

Or, easier, just try the mobile site <m.aol.com> Todd A. suggests :-) .
Post by jeff_wisnia
Jeff
HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp