What does it mean for T-Mobile to have unlimited web but only 500MB of data?
Eddie Powalski
2013-09-30 17:47:33 UTC
I just received an email from T-Mobile saying:

Adding a line for $10/month = unlimited talk, text, and web.
T-Mobile® is on a mission to simplify wireless.
It's only $10/month to add a line to your plan.
And it's risk free because we've done away with annual service
contracts, activation fees, and overages.
• Unlimited talk, text, and web with up to 500 MB of
high-speed data on our network
• No annual service contract
• No overages

OK. So what does it mean to have unlimited web but only 500MB of data?
Isn't that self contradictory?
Bert
2013-09-30 18:29:37 UTC
Post by Eddie Powalski
OK. So what does it mean to have unlimited web but only 500MB of data?
Isn't that self contradictory?
It's "up to 500 MB of high-speed data on our network."

You get 5000MB at T-Mobile's "4G" speeds (HSPA+ or LTE, depending on
where you are and what your phone can handle), after which it slows
down.

Way down.
***@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN
tlvp
2013-09-30 23:33:32 UTC
Post by Eddie Powalski
• Unlimited talk, text, and web with up to 500 MB of
high-speed data on our network
• No annual service contract
• No overages
OK. So what does it mean to have unlimited web but only 500MB of data?
Isn't that self contradictory?
As Bert pointed out, 'tain't "only 500MB of data" (as you phrase it), it's
"up to 500 MB of *high-speed* data *on our network* (emphases mine -- the
point being that lower speed data, like such data on another's network
(such as on a domestic roaming partner's), is characterized as unlimited.

(Of course even that's not *really* unlimited -- it's limited by the number
of bytes you can transmit and/or receive, at a given data rate, if you go
at it non-stop for a month :-) .)

And be sure to ask about the overages that apply when roaming for data on a
foreign (overseas) carrier -- on the order of $15/MB, or $1k500/GB :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp
Elmo P. Shagnasty
2013-10-01 09:52:40 UTC
Post by Eddie Powalski
Adding a line for $10/month = unlimited talk, text, and web.
T-Mobile® is on a mission to simplify wireless.
It's only $10/month to add a line to your plan.
And it's risk free because we've done away with annual service
contracts, activation fees, and overages.
• Unlimited talk, text, and web with up to 500 MB of
high-speed data on our network
• No annual service contract
• No overages
OK. So what does it mean to have unlimited web but only 500MB of data?
Isn't that self contradictory?
Web is data, and your access is unlimited, just like they say.

Only 500MB of it is at 4G speeds. The rest is at a slower speed.